Nothing says luxury quite like a walk-in shower. While soaking tubs and clawfoot baths might seem luxurious, they rarely get used and aren’t going to be the best use of your home remodeling finances.
A bathroom renovation has plenty of design components, but when it comes to making a statement (and making the most of your ROI), a walk-in shower is one investment you won’t regret. It can enhance the look and value of your bathroom in more ways than one – all it takes is the right bathroom remodeling ideas to create the perfect space!
For more bathroom remodel walk in shower ideas, take a look at some of our favorite styles, and how they can enhance the value of your bathroom remodel.
What to know about Walk-in Showers
Before you take a sledgehammer to your bathroom, it’s important to know a little more about walk-in showers. Every bathroom is different, so it’s a good idea to evaluate the current space and state of your bathroom before you start redesigning anything.
Whether you’re working on a small bathroom remodel or a master bath makeover, all of these spaces are capable of having a walk-in shower. It’s just a matter of what style and size of walk-in shower are compatible with your bathroom.
A few important things to note before you start designing your walk-in shower:
Do you already have a standard shower tub combo in your home?
• Realtors can’t list your bathroom as a full bath unless there is a tub present. While most people don’t care about having a full tub with their shower, it’s ideal for new families with small children. Make sure you have an existing shower tub combo present before you add a walk-in shower. Regardless, there are plenty of ways to spruce up the shower stall if you need a traditional shower tub combo.
Is this something you can account for in your remodeling budget?
• Unlike a traditional shower tub combination, the shower walls, additional tiling, and glass have to be accounted for in your budget. Talk to your home remodeler about the total remodeling cost of your walk-in shower, so you can budget accordingly for your bathroom. For more helpful advice, download our free guide How to Find a Home Reno Budget.
Do you have any time restrictions for the installation requirements?
• Installing replacement glass shower door, caulking white subway tile, and reformatting your shower’s set up can be pretty time-consuming. As a homeowner, you have to be prepared that certain remodeling projects take longer than others. Make sure you don’t have strict remodeling deadlines, like visiting family, that places constraints on your remodel. Take the time to discuss the home renovation timeline with your general contractor.
Best Types of Walk-in Showers
While all walk-in shower designs have a similar design, there are still different takes and styles you can choose from. Unlike normal shower tub combos, walk-in showers can be customized with different shower heads, tile, and glass doors to create a more luxurious look and feel. All styles are unique, it’s just a matter of your personal preference and home decor.
Now, let’s take a look at some of the different walk-in shower styles and designs.
• This is a more traditionally styled walk-in shower that can still be rather eye-catching. If you like older style homes and want to keep a certain charm in your walk-in, then use traditional brass fixtures. Accent the space with black and white tile flooring, so it will feel vintage without being dated.
• One of the most popular styles in today’s bathroom remodeling world is a modern shower. These typically have angled tiles and interesting patterns designed to catch the eye. Waterfall showerheads and heated floors add another layer of luxury, along with slick chrome detailing. This is typically the focal point of your modern bathroom.
• If you’re looking for something truly unique, a rustic shower embraces dark tile and natural colors. Today’s tile now comes in colors that embrace the look of traditional wood, which is appealing for a master bathroom. If you truly want to make your shower unique, use stone instead of tile to capture the more natural look and feel of your bathroom.
• Sharp lines and color contrast are the norm for industrial showers. Most often, you will see lots of darker, black metal, complemented by bright white tile. While this doesn’t try to emulate traditional showers, this is a favored style among homeowners.
• It’s all about the simplicity of your shower. These styles will occasionally omit shower enclosures, or opt for all-glass doors. It’s also trendy to have straight wall to ceiling tile. In most instances, it will be all white, or natural earth-toned colors.
Cost of A Walk In Shower
In terms of a bathroom remodel, walk-in showers can typically sit on the higher end of your budget. Certain bathroom remodels, like renovating a powder room, aren’t going to be too costly. But, if you plan on adding a half bath with tile flooring and bathroom vanity, things can add up quickly.
On average, a walk-in shower could run starting at $3,000 to $4,000, depending on a few different factors. However, there is no one set price for this type of remodel. For instance, various types of tile, shower doors, glass, and additional shower heads can all increase the total budget for your bathroom reno. If you want to keep the costs down, it’s a good idea to pick one or two features to splurge on, and keep the rest of your budget focused on the bathroom itself.
Every style of walk-in shower has it’s advantages and disadvantages when it comes to price. The important thing is finding a style that works for your personal preferences and budget.
When it comes to remodeling your bathroom, there are plenty of bathroom remodeling decisions that must be made. That’s why it’s important to work with a team of home remodeling experts who can give you honest pricing, home remodeling deadlines, and reliable customer service.
If you’re ready to install a walk in shower in your home, contact the licensed professionals at Turner Remodeling. Our technicians specialize in bathroom remodeling in Greensboro NC, and other areas throughout the Piedmont Triad. For more helpful information about our home remodeling services, review our guide 5 Easy DIY Ways to Update Your Bathroom, and the Must-Have Master Bathroom Renovation Checklist