What Comes First in a Home Remodel: A Home Renovation Timeline
When it comes to renovating your home, there are a lot of things to consider before you get started. Many of your concerns and questions probably revolve around one big question: time. How long will the renovation take? What needs to be done first? What’s the home remodel timeline for every part of your project?
The truth is, a lot of work goes into renovating your home. Obviously, the best part of your renovation is seeing the completed project, but renovations take time to plan and complete. At RJ Turner Remodeling, we want to help make your home remodeling process as smooth and stress-free as possible.
If you’re thinking about renovating your home but want a better idea of renovation timelines, we’re here to break down all the necessary steps to create your perfect home.
What’s the Difference Between a Renovation and a Remodel?
First, let’s start with some home improvement vocabulary. A renovation is a process of making something new or old into something new again. So, a home renovation would entail taking an outdated home and updating it to meet your needs. On the other hand, a home remodel is the process of changing the structure or form of something. So, a home remodel would be taking home and changing its layout or adding an addition.
The first step in any home remodel timeline is planning. You need to have a clear vision of your home’s appearance when the project is complete. This means sitting down and really thinking about what changes you want to make and your project budget. Once you have a clear vision and budget, you can start looking for a contractor who can help you bring your vision to life.
The next step in your home renovation timeline is the design phase. This is where you’ll work with your contractor to create a detailed plan for your renovation. This plan will include a construction schedule, a list of materials, and a budget. The design phase is crucial because it’s when you’ll make all the big decisions about your renovation.
After the design phase comes the construction phase. The construction phase can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on the size and scope of your project.
Once the construction phase is complete, it’s time for the final touches. This is when you’ll add all the finishing touches to your home, like paint, flooring, and fixtures. The final touches are vital because they’re what will really make your home feel like yours.
What Are the Stages of a House Renovation?
Every home is different – there is no perfect formula for how long each project will take. However, every renovation, whether a kitchen or bathroom remodel, follows a similar process. Here’s a complete breakdown of what goes into a home renovation:
A Home Renovation Timeline Breakdown
Design and Organize
- This phase lets you plan, design, and organize the new or existing layout. However, if you’re designing a new addition versus a bathroom remodel, this phase might take longer, depending on the intensity of the project.
Foundational and Technical Work
- Working on the foundation and more technical sides of the home are important. If there are existing structural problems within your home’s foundation or the roof, those need to be addressed. Things that can be hazardous or dangerous are always tackled first, so the rest of the project goes according to plan.
- This is the quickest phase – everything comes down that needs to! Your general contractor will oversee all the teardown so the new construction can be started.
Structure and Utility Work
- This is when new walls, windows, and construction are done. If you’re changing the layout of your space, this is when all the major structural changes occur. Additionally, air duct and HVAC work can be moved, and plumbing is reworked to suit the space. This is especially important for bathrooms and kitchens.
Insulation and Drywall
- After the framework is completed, you can start working on the insulation and adding drywall to the existing space. This process can generally move along fairly quickly.
Windows and Interior Design
- Now, brand new windows and doors can be added to the space, and you can start thinking about paint colors, flooring and carpeting installation, and other finishing touches. You can also work on the house siding and other critical external projects you’ve been putting off.
Every project begins with a plan and design ideas; from there, you can progress throughout each step. Making sure your home is protected and has all the essential foundation, structure, and updates is the most important part of renovating a home. Once the groundwork is done, the extra time can be spent on the finishing touches.
These are the full and complete steps of what comes first in a home remodel timeline and can help you gauge the work that goes into this process. It depends on the project, but you can expect these steps for most serious renovations. When it comes to remodeling, a variety of additional benefits improve the overall design, look, and feel of your home.
RJ Turner Remodeling can help you with all your home remodeling needs. We’re experts in home renovations, and our experience and dedication to customer service are unmatched. Contact us today if you need help designing, planning, or executing your home renovation project.
How Long Should a Remodel Take?
The truth is, there is no exact home remodel timeline. It depends on the intensity of the project and the amount of work that needs to be done. Also, some foundational issues and other unforeseen changes can add additional time to your project.
However, we can give you a rough estimate for various home renovation projects so you have a better idea before getting started.
- Home Additions: 3-6 months to complete
- Bathroom remodel: 4-8 weeks
- Kitchen remodel: Between 6-12 weeks
- New roof: A week or less
- Deck: Two weeks
All of these projects will vary, but these tentative timelines can give you a better grasp of what needs to be done. If you want to get started on some of your own home renovations, our free ebook 5 Easy DIY Ways to Update Your Bathroom.
How to Find A Remodeling Contractor That Works For You
At RJ Turner Remodeling, our number one priority is delivering quality customer service to all our clients while creating the home of their dreams. We promise to keep everything affordable and will work with you to create a schedule and timeline that guarantees results. We can do everything from replacing shower doors to installing light switches.
Our home remodeling services are perfect for anyone who wants to update their home without breaking the bank. We understand that this is a big decision, and our team will work with you to ensure that your home renovation project is done right.
If you’re ready to jumpstart your home renovations and have been looking for home remodelers, contact RJ Turner and schedule a consultation with our team of experts. We’re excited to work with you.