- By Richard Turner
- In Remodeling
- Tags kitchen remodel, kitchen remodeling, remodel, rj turner remodeling
The truth is, all remodeling projects take time. However, when it comes to a kitchen remodel, there is a lot of time, thought, and design processes that go into this particular project. So, that leaves the question: how long does a kitchen remodel take, and what work goes into this project?
Between plumbing and electrical, new flooring, and overall scope of the project, a kitchen remodel could take anywhere from eight, ten, or fourteen weeks. But, if you’re uncertain about what goes into the overall remodeling project, we’re here to walk you through the process and give you a better idea of how long a kitchen remodel actually takes.
The Kitchen Renovation Process
As you get started, there are a few things to keep in mind. A kitchen remodel is divided into different stages, so your contractors can stay on task. It’s also important, as you think of the overall kitchen design, to consider how the layout should be modified or adapted to suit your needs.
Design and Plan
- Based on the existing kitchen, you can begin the planning phase and decide what modifications you’d like to make
- Think about what is most important to you – if it’s a large island, open space, or an overall floorplan modification
- Discuss your preferences with your contractor and see what will work best for your home
- This is definitely an exciting phase of your kitchen design! This phase includes picking the important materials and finishes you want in your kitchen – a continuation of the design phase. You can think about the kitchen cabinets you’d like to be installed, if you want quartz or granite countertops, and if you want hardwood floors installed.
- Depending on the extent of the materials, the time frame of this project shouldn’t take too long
Demo and Removal
- The hard work gets started – the remodeling team will come in and start tearing down, clearing, and removing the existing kitchen layout, so the new structure can be built
- Leveling and additional work are required if things are out of place during the demo
Electric and Mechanical Work
- Existing electrical panels, wiring, and switches are marked and moved
- Plumbing and HVAC work are moved and adjusted accordingly
Insulation and Drywall
- Insulation and drywall are added, to complete the walls
- If you want new flooring, we complete this prior to other installations
Cabinets and Countertops
- All of the previously selected designs are now installed – we add your cabinets and countertops
- This process can be more time consuming because everything needs to be level and aligned perfectly
Paint and Backsplash
- The backsplash is installed, trim is done, and we paint all of your brand new walls
Appliances and Finishing Touches
- Appliances are installed, and all of the finishing touches like light fixtures, additional hardware, and cleaning is done
A Realistic Timeline
Ultimately, the actual timeline depends on a variety of factors. As you start the design, build, and construction phase, there are a few things to think about.
For starters, depending on the materials you select, it will take time to place the order and have them arrive. Those components are outside of the control of your remodeler, so once those come into play, you’ll be able to start the project.
If you are simply reworking the existing kitchen you have, your remodel won’t take additional time outside of eight or so weeks. However, if you plan on modifying everything about your existing kitchen, it can take upwards of ten weeks. Additional customizations are going to add time as well.
Important things to Remember about Your Kitchen Remodel
While there is no set answer for how long a kitchen remodel actually takes, there certainly are things that can help move your kitchen remodel along, based on how proactive you are with your remodelers. With that in mind, we have a couple of tips that will help you speed along your kitchen remodel, and ultimately, survive a kitchen remodel.
- If you receive emails or calls from your remodeling company, respond to them quickly. They can’t continue the renovations without your approval.
Keep things simple
- Keep conversations and check-ins simple. Day to day, things will go smoothly. If you have major things that need to be discussed, schedule a meeting with the remodeler.
Stay on time
- If you want to meet a deadline, a part of that responsibility rests on you. Keep in touch often and value their time as much as your own.
Ask relevant questions
- Ask all the questions you need during the renovation. If you need clarity, it’s a part of the remodeler’s job to answer those questions and concerns!
If you’re in search of kitchen remodeling in Winston Salem, Greensboro, Highpoint, and surrounding Piedmont Triad. We provide a variety of services such as home renovations, bathroom remodeling, and shower door replacement. RJ Turner’s home improvement projects will transform your home into the space you’ve been dreaming of. For more inspiration, check out 10 Ways to Update your Kitchen on a Budget. Contact us today to get started.