The renovation process can be an exciting, but daunting time. When it comes to creating a kitchen, there are a lot of steps that go into the process – from setting a budget, modifying your square footage, to picking out the custom finishes. While we previously discussed how long a kitchen remodel takes, there are a variety of boxes that must be checked prior to the remodeling process. That’s why we’ve outlined the must-have steps for a kitchen remodel, so you don’t forget anything before you get started.
Homeowner’s Essential Kitchen Renovation Checklist
Starting a kitchen renovation is an exciting time, but there are a few steps you have to consider prior to remodeling. All of these steps are going to help you stay on track, and get one step closer to your dream kitchen. Before your kitchen remodel, be sure to check off these essential steps, so you feel confident in your decisions.
Have I hired an experienced, reliable contractor?
- You are going to be spending a lot of time with your contractors, whether or not you realize it. Remodeling projects take can weeks or months – so if you are planning on a major kitchen remodel, your contractor and their team will be in and out of your home for quite some time. It’s important to work with a company that is prompt, trustworthy, and reliable. Our remodeling team is very transparent, and keep our clients informed at all times about the status of their project. We believe that in order to do our job, communication is key, along with the hard work that goes into every project. If you’re looking for a kitchen remodel in Winston Salem, Greensboro, or other cities in the surrounding triad, explore our kitchen remodeling services for yourself.
Have I applied for home financing?
- If you’re worried about remodeling costs, then you should consider applying for home financing. It’s an affordable way to get the kitchen of your dreams, without breaking the bank. We’ve partnered with Acorn Financial to help our clients apply for home financing without the extra hassle.
Have I created a budget?
- After you apply for home financing, set a manageable budget for your remodeling project. It’s important to allow a minor buffer, in case there are foundational, plumbing, or electrical issues that are found within your home prior to getting started.
Have I spoken with a kitchen designer?
- Don’t go into a remodel feeling uncertain about your layout. If you’re not sure what you want, talk to an expert who can advise you accordingly.
Am I making the best design choices for resell value?
- Living in your home for the next 10+ years means you can design the kitchen of your dreams without breaking a sweat. However, if you don’t see this as your forever home, then make smarter design decisions. Resell value matters, so don’t completely customize the kitchen in all black – chances are that’s going to be a hard sell down the road.
Is the layout of my kitchen conducive to my family’s needs?
- If you plan on staying in your home for years, make sure you take the time to talk about the needs of your family. Creating an open floor plan, large island, and other design decisions matter. But if you are only doing this for resell purposes, pick something that is standard for a kitchen.
Once you’ve crossed off all these boxes, it’s time to get started on the renovation itself.
Step by Step Renovation Checklist
The next few steps can be a little more tricky – you have to determine what is essential, versus what you love from a design standpoint. For instance, if you have broken kitchen cabinets, that is a need, not a want. But if your kitchen sink operates just fine, and you’d still like to upgrade it, that is purely an extra design decision. So, before you start changing everything in your home, consider the necessary upgrades you actually need to complete your kitchen remodel.
What are my must-have features?
- Consider what is absolutely essential. Most of these materials include:
- Fixtures and Hardware
- Drywall and Paint
- Once you determine which of these things are must-have, you can decide what are your most wanted add on’s.
What am I willing to add?
- Add on’s aren’t required, but sometimes these are the features that make your kitchen feel like home or can produce additional resell value, like:
- Custom Cabinets
- Kitchen Island
- Custom Fixtures
- Smart Appliances
Once you’ve decided what you’re willing to splurge on or save, you can buy your materials accordingly. A remodel can be very time consuming, but focusing on places where you can save time and money, will help make your remodeling dreams a reality.
As you begin the remodeling process, remember to check in with your contractors on a weekly basis, to see how things are going. Just because you only see demolition, doesn’t mean progress hasn’t happened. It’s important to remain level headed, informed, and communicate with your contractor over the course of the project.
Curious to know how much you can recoup from your investment? Just download our free guide, 5 Renovations that Return, to learn the true value of a kitchen renovation.