Five Ways to Remodel a Bathroom Vanity
If you’re tired of looking at the same outdated bathroom in your home, there are a few easy ways to renovate this space so it looks brand new again. While there are plenty of reasons to remodel your bathroom, one of our favorite features that can instantly change the look (and value) of a bathroom is a bathroom vanity.
All bathrooms, from powder rooms, master bathrooms, guest bathrooms, need a beautiful vanity to increase resell value. It’s one of the more practical and cosmetic pieces in your space. Whether you have to start from scratch, or just install a new sink or countertop, this bathroom update guarantees a high ROI when you go to sell your house down the road.
No matter if you prefer modern bathroom vanities, rustic bathroom vanities, or something in between, there is a way to have it all with a bathroom renovation. If you’re ready to tackle a bathroom vanity remodel during your home renovation, we have some insider tips on sink styles and basic vanity upgrades that can make your space look brand new.
Different Types of Bathroom Vanities
Before you start shopping for a brand new bathroom vanity, it’s important to consider what type of vanity you’d like in your space.
For starters, consider the type of bathroom remodeling project you’re working on. Is it a minor bathroom remodel like a powder room or a major reno in your master bath? This will help determine the perfect size, and style of your bathroom vanity.
Because not all bathroom spaces are the same, we wanted to review the different types of bathroom vanities and sinks that could be installed during your bathroom remodel.
Free Standing Sink
• A free-standing sink is a small, stand-alone sink that is optimal for smaller bathrooms. It usually has a rectangular top that can hold some storage, but this small design is great for guest bathrooms or areas with limited space.
• A type of free-standing sink, this style is rounded at the top and tapers into a sleek skinny base. Most commonly found in powder rooms, this is also great in guest bathrooms as well if you need a budget-friendly option.
Wall Mounted Sink
• This style is just as it says – it’s mounted to the wall for optimal space and style! This is perfect if you’re adding a half bath, and need the vanity to be flush against your bathroom wall. However, it’s important to have a wall strong enough to support its weight, so you don’t risk potential installation risks. Consult with your local bathroom remodeling expert to see if this style is compatible with your bathroom.
• Undermount sinks provide a seamless look for master bathrooms or a bathroom that needs to be modernized. Because they are attached to your vanity from below, they provide a sophisticated look to your bathroom but take up additional space within your vanity. As a result, this limits the total storage space below your vanity. However, the total look is very compelling and popular for many homeowners.
• While these are less common than other vanity styles, they’re still quite trendy for some homeowners. A vessel sink style means the sink has a raised circular basin, that rests above your vanity countertop. Typically, vessel sinks are used in guest rooms or powder rooms as a focal point but are probably one of the bigger style risks you can make as a homeowner.
• This vanity style also provides additional drawers and cabinets that are perfect for storage. Many of the listed vanity sink styles, outside of a pedestal sink, are capable of this additional storage space.
While all of these bathroom vanities are incredibly stylish, it’s important that you find one that suits your personal taste and budget.
Bathroom Vanity Remodeling Tips
During a bathroom remodel, it’s easy to get swept away in various bathroom remodeling ideas. However, it’s important to consider what sink style works in a large, or small bathroom remodel, and adds the most value to your home.
Before selecting a bathroom vanity, we recommend the following:
Evaluate the size of your bathroom
• Depending on the size of the bathroom, your space could accommodate a larger vanity. However, if you feel a stand-up shower or additional bathroom feature would increase the total value of your bathroom, opt for something smaller instead. If this space is going to be a kid or guest bathroom, it is important to provide ample countertop space for resell value. If you need assistance thinking about how you’ll organize the space, we have some organization tips for small bathroom spaces.
Think of how often this bathroom will be used
• If this is a powder room in your basement, chances are you’re not going to have tons of foot traffic in this space besides holidays and special occasions. However, if you’re renovating your master bathroom, it’s probably best to invest in a vanity that is capable of holding all of your toiletries.
Consider resell value
• Not all bathroom vanities were created equally – and that will show when you go to sell your home. If you pick mostly inexpensive low storage bathroom vanities, you’re not going to get the ROI you were looking for.
With all this in mind, we’ll take a closer look at the different ways you can remodel your bathroom vanity, from a full remodel to minor upgrades.
Replace Your Bathroom Vanity
If your current vanity is in need of a complete makeover, it might be best to start from scratch. Swapping out a dated freestanding sink for an undermount sink vanity is going to be more cost-effective in the long run.
For powder rooms, a pedestal or freestanding sink would be the best choice. For a guest bath, wall-mounted, undermount, and vessel sinks are all smart and appealing choices to other homeowners. For a master bath, a cabinet vanity with an undermount sink is one of the most timeless, and appealing, bathroom vanity’s on the market.
New Hardware and Plumbing Fixtures
An easy fix that is also incredibly stylish is updating your hardware. Dated sink knobs that are hard to turn and a faucet that drips are very annoying. Luckily, these are some of the easiest fixes when it comes to renovating your bathroom vanity.
Painting the Existing Vanity Base
It doesn’t take an interior designer to know sometimes a coat of paint does the trick! If you need a quick way to change the look of an outdated bathroom vanity, so you can splurge on other features, paint the original cabinets a brand new color. Saving on this home remodel means you’ll get to invest in other things such as tile flooring, or a replacement glass shower door.
Replace the Sink Basin
The sink basin of your vanity can date your bathroom very quickly. Not to mention, mold and mildew can grow around your basin as the years go by – and if your home hasn’t been modified since construction, this is a must-have new feature for your bathroom. Opting for a new sink in your vanity is a good compromise if you don’t mind the structure, but need a little upgrade.
Install a New Vanity Top
If you have laminate countertops in your bathroom, you’re already lowering the resell value of your home. It would be far better to have a pedestal sink than outdated laminate countertops. However, if you have the budget and ability to shop for natural stone surfaces, then a brand new vanity top is ideal for your space. Quartz countertops, in particular, are very diverse, durable, and cost-effective for bathroom vanity.
Certain bathroom remodeling projects you can handle yourself, but when it comes to major bathroom vanity remodels and replacements, contact local bathroom remodelers for a more hands-on approach to your bathroom remodel. If you need help staying on track with your bathroom remodel, review our Must-Have Master Bathroom Renovation Checklist.
Suggestions for Remodeling Your Bathroom
If you’re looking for the most effective and stylish bathroom remodels in Winston Salem, it’s best to contact your local bathroom remodeling contractor, like the licensed professionals at RJ Turner Remodeling. Our team can provide services such as bathroom remodels in Winston Salem, bathroom remodels in Greensboro, and bathroom remodels in High Point North Carolina. From home improvement services like laying bathroom tiles, replacing glass shower doors, or remodeling your bathroom vanity, our team has what it takes to get the job done.
If you need bathroom remodeling near me, and want licensed professionals assisting you throughout your bathroom remodel, contact RJ Turner Remodeling. Our team is committed to creating the home of your dreams, one reno at a time! To learn more about the additional value home renovations can bring to your life, check out our exclusive guides: 5 Renovations that Return, and Creative Home Additions.