When it comes to renovating your home, there are a lot of things to consider before you get started. A lot of your concerns and questions probably revolve around one big question: time. How long will the renovation take? What needs to be done first? What’s the timeline of every part of your project?
The truth is, there’s a lot of work that goes into renovating your home. Obviously the best part of your renovation is getting to see the completed project, but renovations take time to plan and complete.
If you’re thinking about renovating your home, but want a better idea of what goes into a renovation, we’re here to break down all the necessary steps that go into creating your perfect home.
A Home Renovation Breakdown
Every home is different – there is no perfect formula for how long each project will take. However, every renovation, whether it is a kitchen or bathroom remodel, follows a similar process. Here’s a complete breakdown of what goes into a home renovation:
Design and Organize
- This phase lets you plan, design, and organize the new or existing layout. However, if you’re designing a new addition, verses a bathroom remodel, this phase might take longer depending on the intensity of the project.
Foundational and Technical Work
- Working on the foundation and more technical sides of the home are important. If there are existing structural problems, within your home’s foundation or the roof, those need to be addressed. Things that can be hazardous or dangerous are always tackled first, so the rest of the project goes according to plan.
- This is the quickest phase – everything comes down that needs to! Your general contractor will oversee all the teardown so the new construction can be started.
Structure and Utility Work
- This is when new walls, windows, and construction are done. If you’re changing the layout of your space, this is when all the major structural changes take place. Additionally, air duct and HVAC work can be moved, and plumbing is reworked, to suit the space. This is especially important for bathrooms and kitchens.
Insulation and Drywall
- After the framework is completed, you can start working on the insulation and adding drywall to the existing space. This process can generally move along fairly quickly.
Windows and Interior Design
- Now, brand new windows and doors can be added to the space, and you can start thinking about paint colors, flooring and carpeting installation, and other finishing touches. You can also work on the house siding and other important external forced that didn’t get to be worked on originally.
Every project begins with a plan and design ideas, and from there, you can progress throughout each step. Making sure your home is protected and has all the essential foundation, structure, and updates is the most important part of renovating a home. Once the groundwork is done, the extra time can be spent on the finishing touches
These are the full and complete steps of what comes first in a home remodel, and can help you gauge the work that goes into this process. Obviously, it depends on the project, but for most serious renovations you can expect these steps. When it comes to remodeling, there are a variety of additional benefits that improve the overall design, look, and feel of your home.
What Is the Average Home Renovation Timeline?
The truth is, there is no exact timeline for a home renovation. It depends on the intensity of the project, and the amount of work that needs to be done. Also, certain foundational problems and other unforeseen changes can tack on additional time to your project.
However, we can give you a rough estimate for various home renovation projects, so you have a better idea before getting started.
- Home Additions: 3-4 months to complete
- Bathroom remodel: Up to 4 weeks
- Kitchen remodel: Between 6-12 weeks
- New roof: A week or less
- Deck: Two weeks
All of these projects will vary, but these tentative timelines can provide you with a better grasp of what needs to be done. If you want to get started on some of your own home renovations, our free ebook 5 Easy DIY Ways to Update Your Bathroom.
How to Find A Remodeling Contractor that works For You
At RJ Turner Remodeling, our number one priority is delivering quality customer service to all our clients, while creating the home of their dreams. We promise to keep everything affordable and will work with you to create a schedule and timeline that guarantees results. From replacing shower doors to installing light switches, we can do it all.
If you’re ready to jumpstart your home renovations and have been looking for home remodelers, contact RJ Turner and schedule a consultation with our team of experts. We’re excited to work with you.